Here are some questions that may be helpful to ask your doctor when considering shoulder surgery. We suggest you print this list and take it with you to your appointment. It’s also a good idea to keep a record of your shoulder pain to share with your doctor at the same time.
Do I need to have surgery? If so, do I need it immediately?
- What would happen if I wait six months? One year?
- If I need surgery, what complications may occur with this kind of surgery?
- How many surgeries of this type have you done?
- What is the expected recovery time from surgery?
- How many days will I be in the hospital after surgery?
- Will I have physical therapy? If so, how often and for how long?
- Will I need full-time or part-time care? If so, for how long?
- How soon will I be able to resume normal lifestyle activities (e.g., work, sports, housework, gardening, etc.)?
- Will an implant make it difficult to go through metal detectors?