Here's a list of questions that may be helpful
to ask your doctor before your hip surgery. We suggest you print this
list and take it with you on your appointment.
What complications may occur with
this kind of surgery?
- What is the expected
- How many days will I be in the hospital
- Will I have physical therapy? If so, how
often and for how long?
- Will I need full-time or part-time
care? If so, for how long?
- Will I need a hospital bed at
- When can I lie on the operative side?
soon will I be able to walk after surgery?
- Will I need
crutches or a walker? If so, for how long?
- How soon will I
be able to climb stairs after surgery?
- How soon will I be
able to drive a car after surgery?
- When can I shower after
- How soon will I be able to resume normal lifestyle
activities besides walking (e.g., work, sports, housework,
- Which sports may I participate in?
- What are lifting limits?
- When is sexual intercourse
feasible after surgery?
- Will I set off the metal detectors
at the airport?
- Will I need antibiotics for dental care?
- What is the implant made of? Which biomaterials will be
- In your estimate, how long will my joint replacement
- What can I do to help keep my joint replacement
functioning as long as possible?
- What activities or other
factors could make my joint replacement wear out more quickly, and
what can I do to avoid them?